When a patient goes through chemotherapy, radiation therapy, or other cancer treatments, they may experience an array of side effects, including but not limited to sudden weight loss, loss of appetite, nausea, anxiety, and more. In order to alleviate these symptoms, some patients started using CBD oils. Although these products do not provide a definite cure or completely eliminate these symptoms, they are known to assist in reducing the discomfort, pain, or suffering experienced during treatment.
It is important to note that CBD is not a substitute for any cancer treatment. In fact, it is far too soon to say that CBD is more effective than conventional anti-nausea medications. There are several ongoing studies assessing how CBD works on specific types of cancer, how CBD interacts with chemotherapy drugs and more.
Potential Benefits of CBD Oil
CBD oil may help cancer patients in several ways:
- Appetite: Patients who are going through cancer treatment may suffer a loss of appetite or experience nausea and vomiting. These symptoms can make it hard for patients to consume food properly and receive the nutrients necessary for recovery. Ingesting CBD oil may help stimulate the appetite of these patients.
- Pain relief: Often, cancer patients experience pain due to inflammation in certain areas of their bodies, as well as increased pressure on internal organs… CBD oil may help inhibit the CB2 receptor in the brain and potentially reduce inflamed areas.
- Nausea: Chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting is a common side effect that patients experience. CBD oil has the potential to provide much-needed relief for some patients.
- Insomnia: Cancer patients might experience varying levels of stress, anxiety, and depression. These factors might cause individuals to become sleep deprived. Some patients who responded well to CBD products found relief from pain-associated symptoms like insomnia and reported subjective improvements in their quality of sleep.
How to Use CBD Oil
Using CBD oil is both easy and convenient. Below are some of the most popular options:
- Capsules – CBD capsules can be taken like a supplement, where the exact dosage of CBD is labeled on the bottle for each capsule. The oil can be paired with other forms of pharmaceutical medications, making it easier for cancer patients to integrate it with their diet.
- Tinctures – CBD oil tinctures come with a handy dropper where individuals can select the correct dosage and drip it directly under their tongues. It can also be infused with a dish to help stimulate the appetite of cancer patients.
- Edibles – Like tinctures, CBD oils can be infused with fun and tasty edibles such as gummy bears, lollipops, cakes, or other treats.
CBD Isn’t a Cure for Cancer
CBD oil is not a cure for cancer and to prevent it. There is still a lot to learn about the efficacy of CBD for cancer, and patients should practice caution not to heed unconfirmed health-related claims. While it is relatively safe for cancer patients to use CBD products, they should consult with their doctors to ensure nothing interacts adversely with ongoing treatments and medications.